Michael J. Vives, MD, is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon at Rutgers North Jersey Orthopaedic Institute (NJOI) and an associate professor at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS). Along with his positions with the school and the practice, Dr. Vives is also an attending surgeon at University Hospital in Newark, NJ, Overlook Medical Center and Christ Hospital. He sees patients in our Newark, Summit, and Bayonne offices. He has experience in the operative and nonoperative treatment of a wide range of spinal injuries and disorders, including:
- Disc degeneration
- Disc herniations
- Spinal fractures/spinal cord injury
- Spinal stenosis
- Spinal tumors
He also has extensive experience with emerging techniques such as disc replacement, minimally invasive surgery and computer-guided spine surgery.
In addition to numerous publications and prestigious committee seats, Dr. Vives holds honors and awards including:
- Achievement Award for contributing to the field of orthopedic surgery by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Best Basic Science Research by North American Spine Society
- Best Doctors in America (Orthopaedic Surgeons) by Best Doctors®, Inc.
- Best Doctors in New Jersey (Orthopaedics) by New Jersey Savvy Living
- Elected Chairman for the Scientific Program for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Top Doctor by NJ Savvy Living
Dr. Vives is an active member of many societies, including:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- The Spine Study Group (SSG)
- The Association for Collaborative Spine Research (ACSR)
His expertise has earned him positions on the editorial boards of scientific journals including The Spine Journal, The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine and SpineLine. He has authored 75 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, and has presented close to 100 scientific and clinical lectures at meetings at the national and international levels.
In his free time, Dr. Vives enjoys running and surfing. He has also coached baseball and basketball at the youth level.
Contact Doctor: 973-972-0679